Mentoring - update. Opportunity Sheffield 08/04/2018
Why am I doing this?
I think there are potentially a lot of great photographers out there, who simply need some help, a chance or an opportunity to actually see a proper wedding. I'm fed up with seeing adverts for mentoring from people who really shouldn't be teaching anyone anything, let alone charging for it.
Don't get me wrong there's no doubt a lot of good photographers out there offering training - but it's hard to differentiate the good from the bad.
Anyway, if we are able surely we should be contributing to photography rather than simply lining our own pockets - especially if it's at no detriment to ourselves.
What is it? What isn't it?
It's an opportunity to learn. It isn't a portfolio filler. It's a tag along (not a bag carrier) at a real wedding. You'll be working at a real wedding where a real couple have kindly agreed you can come along as a learning opportunity.
Things to bear in mind:
- You're not there to self promote, you're representing me therefore do so with professionalism
- What you take away from the opportunity is largely down to you, I will offer guidance and insights into how I work of course, but I am there to photograph a wedding bear that in mind
- I use small cameras to allow me to work discreetly - you'll be using one of my cameras, I don't want couples or guests feeling awkward with big cameras and lenses pointing in their faces, this isn't a 'how to use your camera' opportunity, it's a 'how a documentary photographer works' opportunity
- It's not a breeze in breeze out thing, it's going to be a long day - if you're expecting it to be a 9 - 5 thing you're in for a surprise !
- Oh, did I mention I'm not charging for this - it's about helping the photographic community, I'm already being paid
Get in touch via my Facebook page - let me know what drives you photography-wise, if you have a website send me a link. It's on a first come first served basis but please don't say you're interested then decide you aren't - it's not fair on people who want this opportunity.